By Chris Ringham 02 Nov, 2020 0 Comments

What is Stamp Duty?

What is Stamp Duty?When buying a property, one of the terms that often causes confusion is Stamp Duty. Despite this, it is actually one of the easiest to explain. Put simply, Stamp Duty is a tax that you must pay when purchasing a property or a piece of land in England or Northern Ireland.

Download the FREE Bowsers Conveyancing Process Guide today!

Under normal circumstances, buyers pay stamp duty on all homes worth more than £125,000 but the government has temporarily raised the threshold in an effort to stimulate the housing market during the COVID-19 pandemic. Until the end of March 2021, Stamp Duty only applies to properties worth more than £500,000, making this a great time to buy a house.

How Much is Stamp Duty?

Until the 31st March 2021, the Stamp Duty rates are as follows:

Properties worth less than £500,000 - 0%

Properties worth £500,001 to £925,000 - 8%

Properties worth £925,001 to £1.5million - 10%

Properties worth over £1.5 million - 12%

It is worth noting that you only pay Stamp Duty on the portion of the property worth more than the threshold. For example, if a property is worth £600,000, you do not have to pay 8% of its total value. The property is worth £100,000 more than the threshold, so your Stamp Duty would be 8% of £100,000 (£8,000).

How Much is Stamp Duty for a Second Home?

The Stamp Duty on second homes and some buy to let properties is an extra 3%. This applies to all properties worth more than £40,000, even under the temporary rates. This means that, until 31st March 2021, second homes worth between £40,000 and £500,000 will incur a Stamp Duty of 3%, and then 3% must be added to each of the bands for properties worth over £500,000. For example, a second home costing £600,000 would carry a Stamp Duty of 8% + 3% for a total of 11%.

Ask the Experts

Buying a house is never easy, and things are even trickier than usual at the moment. From Stamp Duty to conveyancing issues, there is a lot to think about at once. If it all starts to feel a bit overwhelming, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Our friendly, experienced team can help with all aspects of legal work surrounding house buying, making the whole process as painless as possible. Give us a call today to get started.

conveyancing-process-explained-guide

Image source: Pixabay

Debt Recovery - the Importance of Background Checks

By Chris Ringham 09 Nov, 2020 0 Comments

Debt recovery can be a difficult and time-consuming process, and if you hire a dedicated debt recovery specialist it can become expensive too....

Continue reading

What is Stamp Duty?

By Chris Ringham 02 Nov, 2020 0 Comments

When buying a property, one of the terms that often causes confusion is Stamp Duty. Despite this, it is actually one of the easiest to explain....

Continue reading

When To Get A Pre-Nuptial Agreement To Protect Your Assets

By Chris Ringham 29 Oct, 2020 0 Comments

Getting married is a wonderful thing. But the reality of the matter is that statistics show nearly half of all marriages end in divorce, and that...

Continue reading

Six Things To Consider When Downsizing Your Home

By Chris Ringham 26 Oct, 2020 0 Comments

There are many motivating factors behind downsizing to a smaller property. Some older adults find that they simply have too much space once their...

Continue reading

Changes To Electrical Safety Standards In The Private Rented Sector

By Chris Ringham 21 Oct, 2020 0 Comments

It is fair to say that 2020 has been a roller-coaster year for everyone in the UK. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has proved a real challenge for...

Continue reading

When And How To Escalate A Boundary Dispute

By Chris Ringham 20 Oct, 2020 0 Comments

Knowing how to resolve boundary disputes can be difficult, as they can be a process fraught with high tensions and hostility. If you want to know...

Continue reading

Subscribe Here!

Guide To Boundary Disputes - Small CTA

Recent Posts

bowsers-debt-recovery-methods-guide
the-conveyancing-process-explained-guide